This marks the first Step Towards a series of Blog and/or Vlog Posts that I will be doing to track my progress and share my growth in the VO and MoCap industry.
Here I will be documenting adventures, classes, or events I may attend, and the occasional tips, tricks, skills and others things that I learn, or do on the daily.
*Hopefully without giving away too much in respect to my coaches and mentors who do actually teach professionally. I also might occasionally list a couple of goals/to-do lists to help prove myself.*
For the 2016 year I am kicking it off by taking a dive at starting an Audio Play Original written, directed (and potentially performed and edited) by yours truly.
- One of my goals with this project is to not only get some consistent practice, but create meaningful content, and aim for actual story and character development with not only myself, but anyone else who wishes to join and contribute.
- A second goal is to practice casting talent. I personally really like hearing other people and their skills and seeing where they can fit vocally, emotionally, and their overall presence in the project. Also, seeing if there is any chemistry between performers is something I am vastly interested in seeing especially since typically, you won't have VOs performing and recording together. (Although there are certain occasions, but we'll see where this goes)
- Third goal is to direct. Not so much in just running another project, but focused on directing the VO. Being a Casting Director. Working specifically with them and pulling out the performance that is needed to have a good project. (I am curious in exploring a "one take/ Buster Keaton approach" but that'll probably be in a future project.)
I remember when I first started learning VO, and actually started recording in the booth with one of my mentors, Chris Smith. The feeling of being able to nail something- or even fail, then correct it, and be able to deliver is such a great feeling.
With this project, I'm looking to be able to deliver on both sides of the glass.
Just for fun's sake and to see how much I can remember, here's a list of a few things I did in 2015
- Officially started my VO business & landed my first projects including 3 audio books, 1 of which I played 30+ characters
- Learned Motion Capture from some of the BEST in the industry, sparking new LOVE
- Probably spent 1000 hrs+ gaming. (For research.)
- Got heaving into business networking, marketing, and development
- Worked for Life Insurance. Again.
- Served ice cream, with liquid nitrogen
- Started a production company
- Drank less alcohol, but more boba.
- Ate more food, but less spicy dishes.
- Worked out less, but did more Tai Chi and Airsoft
- Started collecting patches
- Made my own custom Lightsaber which I proudly wear out occasionally
- Cumulatively cried in front of MANY strangers (work & non-work) throughout the year
- Spent more $, both on unimportant things and on my career and self improvement
- Taught and performed comedy improv as an Alum at my old school
- Slept less, for selfish reasons including for more time with family, friends, and loved ones
2015 was a heck of a ride, lots of ups and downs, and I can not even imagine what 2016 will hold. All signs do point toward the next year being VERY interesting, and a lot of new changes and growth are to come.
Lastly there is a need to say "Thank You" to everyone who has helped me get to this point in my life. From my coaches, mentors, and especially my close friends and family, thank you for your kindness, love, and support. Although there is still much ahead us, know that you amazing, and I appreciate and love you for you.
Thanks for reading and dropping by, I'll see you soon! HAPPY NEW YEAR!